Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Really cool writing software

Jer's Novel Writer is a pretty amazing program in that it eliminates some of the reasons I still hand-write things before typing them up.

1. Margin notes. These are my favorite feature because I can use them for pretty much anything. I'm currently working on a project for AugNoWriMo where word count is very important and editing is supposed to wait for later. But with this program I can easily add a note in the margin saying that a certain scene needs a lot of editing, is out of place, or incomplete, without losing hardly any time from writing.

2. Outline. This one takes a little more time to set up, but is a lot easier to organize and edit than handwritten or word-processed outlines. I like it because it gives me as much or as little framework to my story as I want and makes it easy to jump between sections. Being able to show and hide different scenes is pretty useful too.

3. Database. This is where information about characters, places, or anything else can be kept and easily accessed. I haven't used it much yet but it looks really cool.

There are plenty of other features but those three are the ones I can see myself using the most.

One downside is that it's a Mac-only program, which means I'm probably going to become a lot more attached to my new Mac because of it (I grew up with PCs. I never would've gotten a Mac if it hadn't been given to me).

So if you happen to have a Mac, and enjoy complicated (or not so complicated) writing projects, I recommend trying this out.

No comments: