Monday night, after an absolutely beautiful day filled with good news, good worship, good weather and good entertainment, I had a very long and intense conversation/story sharing time with some floor mates. I have to say that I am so blessed to know people I can be open with about the things that come up in my life, especially my past, but this time I got to mostly just listen and reflect.
Then Tuesday was like disaster day or something.
First, we had a 3-hour evacuation while Haz Mat came to clean up some potentially highly explosive acid that had crystallized in the chemistry stock room. That was exciting, what with everyone talking about the school blowing up. Fire trucks, ambulances and police lined the main street beside the school and police tape and cones marked off most of campus. So all my classes were canceled for that day.
Then in the evening someone downstairs in my dorm set off the fire alarm while cooking a steak.
Then sometime that night someone upstairs in my dorm decided to pull a prank that involved putting a shower curtain in the oven.
Then someone accidentally turned on the oven and burned said shower curtain. I'm now wondering what stupid things people on my own floor might be doing soon.
Also on Tuesday night a girl was assaulted in her apartment on campus. That has a lot of people shook up and security has been heightened quite a bit. Personally, I'm not as shocked by the news as most people here are, especially considering the subject of Monday night's chat, but I'm the semi-paranoid girl who's always looking over her shoulder anyway.
And today I heard that some guy downtown was waving a gun around trying to get the police to shoot him.
I'm feeling more at home every day. (Lol. Not really a good thing). And there are only a couple more weeks until I return to that mad place for the summer.
Continuing the string of strange events, today my roommate got mysteriously locked out of our room while I was at work. My initial response: Darn, that means I have to check all my stuff and make sure nothing's been stolen. (Because if neither of us locked the door it's possible that someone else did). Other people's responses: It was probably the wind coming through the windows that shut and locked the door. I'm not sure how that happened (closed, alright, but locked?) but it appears to be the best explanation.
This is a strange world we live in. Yes, this town is relatively safe; it's crime rate is very low. But that doesn't mean we all have to be surprised by the unexpected. And while common sense and vigilance aren't things I normally have trouble keeping with regard to security, I am reminded that there are other important parts of life that they apply to as well.
Now, brothers, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape. (1 Thessalonians 5:1-3).
Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him. (Matthew 24:42-44).At any rate, these kinds of events are good reminders to pray.
1 comment:
"And today I heard that some guy downtown was waving a gun around trying to get the police to shoot him."
"It was probably the wind coming through the windows that shut and locked the door."
Both of those made me laugh :P lol Morbid for the first one? Noooooooo
Glad life is uh..keeping you on your toes :-P
Post a Comment